Builders’ Breakfast Series: A Fully Exterior Insulated House Case Study
An Illustrated Case Study with a Practical Perspective:
A fully exterior insulated building envelope is well-known for its premium performance in cold climates: By placing all the thermal insulation outboard of the building structure, this building envelope configuration results in superior condensation resistance, uniform temperature of the structure, reduced thermal bridging, several lines of defence against rain penetration, and a service cavity inboard of the environmental control layers for housing utilities. These benefits alone are enough to justify the use of exterior insulated building envelope. That said, unfortunately to date, it has had a much smaller market share compared to other building envelope systems. Based on the feedback received from some builders, the perceived hurdles include a lack of sufficient trained installers, higher cost, and potential constructability/coordination challenges in detailing windows, penetrations, decks, etc.
This interactive presentation covers the design and construction of a fully exterior insulated house in Sechelt, British Columbia, to be completed in early 2019. Using a range of targeted photos taken during the construction phase, engaging 3D details, and physical assembly/material samples, this presentation will cover:
- Step-by-step installation sequencing of exterior insulated foundation walls and slab, exterior insulated above grade walls, exterior insulated sloped roof, and exterior insulated flat roofs.
- Challenges faced during construction, along with practical building envelope solutions.
- Optimum detailing of windows and skylights with respect to thermal performance and moisture management.
- Practical considerations in detailing penetrations through the wall and roof.
- Effective detailing of hidden gutter in exterior insulated sloped roof.
- Methods of addressing thermal bridges caused by steel beams/columns, canopies, etc.
- Various cost saving measures.
By the end of this presentation, builders will gain a holistic and intuitive understanding of:
- Key benefits associated with a fully exterior insulated building envelope.
- Potential installation and constructability challenges associated with the exterior insulated building envelope, and practical methods of overcoming these challenges.
- Effective site coordination measures to streamline the construction process of the exterior insulated building envelope.
Single and multi-family builders, custom home builders, renovators
7:00am – 7:30am Registration and hot breakfast
7:30am – 9:30am Course, including Q&A
Hamid Heidarali, P. Eng
Hamid Heidarali has a strong passion for high performance, durable buildings that minimize their impact on the environment, while providing a superior experience for their occupants. Having worked as a building science consultant on a wide range of projects over the past 15 years in Canada has provided him with valuable insight into building envelope issues and practical solutions.
Hamid holds Professional Engineering designation in Ontario and British Columbia, a LEED Accredited Professional in Canada, and a certified Passive House Tradesperson through Germany. He received his Master of Engineering in Building Science and Construction Management, and his Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering.
Hamid is a principal at HDB, a building science consulting firm based in Vancouver, Canada. He is a part-time instructor and faculty at the British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT), and teaches building envelope courses to Masters Students as part of the Building Science Graduate Program. He also offers interactive workshops to construction professionals on a regular basis.