Building Envelope and Structural Detailing of Windows/Doors in Fully Exterior Insulated Walls (July BBS)
About The Event
In fully exterior insulated walls in which all the thermal insulation is located outside of the wall structure, the optimum placement of the windows/doors would be inline with the plane of the exterior insulation. Consequently, the windows/doors will no longer directly rest on the walls. This configuration has caused some challenges for the construction industry in North America with respect to the structural support and building envelope detailing around windows/doors. Some attempts to address those challenges had involved building a plywood box around the windows/doors, or similar exploration in that nature. That said, those attempts have not managed to offer holistic solutions; and in many cases, have introduced additional complications and practicality issues for certain detailing such air barrier continuity. In summary, the lack of intuitive and practical solutions surrounding windows/doors detailing, has been one of the key reasons behind the hesitation of the construction industry in embracing the fully exterior insulated wall approach.
Based on two recently completed (2021) fully exterior insulated wood-framed projects (one located in Kamloops and one in Vancouver, showcased for the first time), this presentation is going to introduce several practical and holistic solutions to address the perceived challenges associated with the structural support of the windows/doors and the continuity of building envelope control layers around them. With the determination of the builders of the two projects, several solutions have been explored and tested to provide the industry with options to choose from. The step-by-step installation process has been documented with photos and videos to assist in communicating the solutions in an intuitive way.
The presented solutions have been developed for the following site conditions:
- Window at field of the wall
- Window at proximity to roof/deck
- Window at proximity to grade
- Door at grade/foundation
By the end of this presentation, the audience will gain a holistic and practical insight towards:
- Structural support and building envelope detailing of windows/doors in fully exterior insulated walls.
- The most advanced building envelope practices associated with the continuity of air barrier, vapour retarder, thermal insulation, and rain penetration control around windows/doors.
- The necessary in-advance coordination with the window manufacturers and structural engineers.
- New products and systems to assist with the window and door detailing.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: WEDNESDAY, JULY 28 AT 3 PM
Date and Time