Working in partnership with industry and goverment.
As BC’s largest home builder association, HAVAN actively works with government and industry associations in an effort to bring an efficient supply of required housing stock to meet the needs of municipalities across Metro Vancouver. Here are just some of the initiatives we have been working on.
View and download HAVAN’s 2019 government relations summary.
HAVAN GR/DC Success Stories
- Participation on Provincial Energy Step Code Council, overseeing the creation of the Energy Step Code (energystepcode.ca) and ensuring its orderly adoption and implementation by Local Governments. The Step Code Council was recognized with a Special 2017 Climate & Energy Action Award from the Community Energy Association.
- Release of Housing Approvals Study 2017 (with Landcor) – Infill Housing, and presentation of key findings to Coquitlam and Port Moody Councils.
- Creation of the broad-based Surrey Schools Coalition to advocate for adequate provincial funding of new schools in fast-growth areas of Surrey, effectively cutting off a group advocating for a development ban until new schools are funded. In February 2017, the Provincial Government announced $217 million in new school capital funding, and the City of Surrey recognized the efforts of the Surrey Schools Coalition with a Certificate of Special Recognition.
- Release of Getting to Groundbreaking 2016 (with SFU) – Low-rise Wood-frame Apartments
- Establishment of Maple Ridge Development Liaison Committee (in collaboration with UDI) – adoption of G2G Report Best Practices as Work Plan for DLC. (see page 32 of this Maple Ridge Council Workshop agenda for the reference to G2G)
- Release of inaugural Getting To Groundbreaking Report 2014 (with SFU)– Townhouses
- Work with City of Vancouver to streamline development and building permit approval processes, with the Small-Scale Builders Advisory Group, and later with the Development and Permit Process Advisory Group.
- Work with City of Vancouver to create Energy Efficient Retrofit Checklist for condo apartments
- Delivery of ‘Development 101’ presentation by members of the Development Committee to planning, building and engineering staff at the Township of Langley and the City of Port Coquitlam.