Looking to foster relationships, broaden your skill-set, or advance an industry initiative? The association has ten active committees, each with a specific mandate set out by HAVAN’s strategic plan. As a member-driven association, committees are an excellent way to leverage your membership. Free to join, we guarantee you will get back, more than you put in.
Chair: Nathan Hildebrand, Canadian Horizons | Staff Liaison: Mark Sakai
To assist HAVAN members with advocacy on issues, including:
- Government policy/regulations on housing affordability
- Community amenity contributions
- Green building and sustainability checklists
- Parkland dedications
- Housing Approval Processes
Education & Training Committee
Chair: Anton Van Dyk, Centra Construction | Staff Liaison: Wendy McNeil
Raising the bar in industry education, this Committee develops and delivers:
- CPD-approved Builder courses (HAVAN is a BC Housing-approved CPD credit provider)
- Building industry workshops, forums, and seminars
- eLEARN, HAVAN’s online, on-demand learning portal
Chair: Blake Ponuick, Preston Mobility | Staff Liaison: Amanda Camara
Held every September, the HAVAN Fall Classic Golf Tournament is one of western Canada’s largest (it’s a double shotgun) with 288 golfers playing across two courses, featuring sponsored hole activities throughout the day. The evening banquet showcases an impressive silent and live auction to generate funds in support of HAVAN’s Forge Properties Centra Cares BCIT Scholarships. The committee works to secure sponsors, drive ticket sales, and source prizes and donations for the auctions.
Marketing & Communications Committee (MCC)
Chair: Ralph Belisle, TQ Construction | Staff Liaison: Dawn Sondergaard
The mandate of the MCC is to provide marketing and communication recommendations to association staff, subject to the priorities determined by the HAVAN Strategic Plan. The MCC develops strategies, discusses tactics, and provides feedback on marketing initiatives to ensure a singular tone for HAVAN, as the voice of the residential construction industry.
Chair: Cheri Stefanucci, Abstract Homes & Renovations | Staff Liaison: Renée Auer
Develops strategies to recruit and retain members:
- Help members utilize membership benefits
- Volunteer with various member events
- Works with staff to recruit members
- Develops networking events
Ovation Awards Task Force
Staff Liaison: Wendy McNeil
The Ovation Awards Task Force is responsible for the development of HAVAN’s annual Ovation Awards, a premier industry marketing program which recognizes excellence in new-home construction, renovation, and design in Metro Vancouver.
Chair: Mark Cooper, Shakespeare Homes & Renovations
Vice Chair: Steve Kemp, Kemp Construction Management
Staff Liaison: Sonali Rayas
Provides renovator members:
- A forum to share/exchange ideas, resources
- A means to address industry issues and promote industry professionalism
- RenoMark™ program
- Parade of Homes / Home Reno Show @ VanDusen Gardens
- Community service projects – Easter Seal House
- HAVAN’s Ask The Experts Stage at Vancouver spring and fall Home Shows
Chair: Alisa Aragon, Bridgestone Financing Pros | Staff Liaison: Renée Auer
Provides supplier members:
- A forum to share/exchange ideas and resources
- Opportunities to promote industry professionalism
- Construction Social: peer-to-peer networking event
- Provide feedback on issues about changes in supply for products/service prices (benefit to builders and renovators)
Chair: Larry Clay, Clay Construction | Staff Liaison: Mark Sakai
Provides a forum for discussion on technical challenges, new products, and evolving building technology:
- Address technical information requests from members and public
- Industry workshops and advises on technical content for consumer seminars
Chair: Henri Belisle, TQ Construction
Vice Chair: Katerina Vastardis, Designs by Katerina & Silvie and Kyle Darvasi, K2 Stone
Staff Liaison: Vanessa Swanson
The U40 Committee mandate is to inform, involve, and engage the younger echelon of the HAVAN membership. Simply hosting an event is not enough for the U40 crowd. Friendly competition is always a big draw, as is learning and giving back to the community. So popular, members of all ages are welcomed, and known to attend!
Initiatives include: social networking and team-building events (ie. Dodgeball Tournament, Go Karting, Pub Nights, Whisky Tasting) and mentorship programs (ie. Young Professionals’ Seminar and Mentorship Breakfasts).
Women’s Council (WC)
Chair: Laurel James, Novell Design Build
Co-Chair: Tammy Gizen, Talius Rollshutters
Staff Liaison: Renee Auer
The Women’s Council mandate is to engage, encourage and empower women within the residential construction industry. At its core, WC adheres to five main values including: incluision, connections, mentorship, leadership, and professionalism.
Established in 2018, the group meets approximately every second month, hosting industry tours to showcase women in the construction industry, and to discuss issues, and initiatives.