Designing a dream kitchen in a small space can be a challenge, but with the right inspiration and design tips, you can create a functional and stylish kitchen that works for you. Here are some ideas to help you get started:
- Focus on the function: When designing a small kitchen, it’s important to prioritize function. Consider your lifestyle. Do you shop at Costco and require storage space for bulk items? Do you entertain a lot? A deep pantry cupboard or an extra dishwasher drawer may be a solution to add function to your small kitchen.Forever Home: Jedan Brothers Contracting and Laura Grist Interior Design Inc.
Photographer Credit Rob Atkins Photography
- Utilize space-saving design elements: When designing a small kitchen, it’s important to make the most of every inch of space. Consider incorporating space-saving design elements such as built-in storage, blind corner cabinet pullouts, and other cupboard organizers. Open shelves create the opportunity to access what you need at your fingertips or to display treasured items for cooking inspiration.
- Consider multi-functional appliances: In a small kitchen, it’s important to make the most of every appliance. Consider incorporating multi-functional appliances such as combination microwave/ovens or a refrigerator with a built-in water dispenser.Aquarius Serenity: Condoworks Design Renovations Ltd. and Designs By KS
- Keep it clutter-free: A cluttered kitchen can make a small space feel even smaller. Consider incorporating built-in appliance garage to keep the kitchen clutter-free and functional. Incorporating appliances into the millwork creates a streamlined look in a small kitchen with open plan living space.
- Incorporate design elements: Design elements can help make a small kitchen feel more spacious and stylish. Consider incorporating clean lines, minimalist hardware, and high-gloss finishes into the design.
Forever Home: TQ Construction Ltd
- Cohesive look: the open-plan living concept remains very popular. Your kitchen design should be cohesive with the dining and living areas, and any rooms visible from the kitchen space.
- Cabinets are an important part of any kitchen design. They provide both storage and style and can set the tone for the entire room. When choosing kitchen cabinets, consider the style of your home, as well as the functionality you need.
- Choose light colors: Light colors can help make a small space feel larger and more open. Consider using light-colored cabinets and countertops and incorporating bright accents to add a pop of color to the space.
East Star: Level One Construction with Triple Dot Design Studio Inc.Check out Season Four of HAVAN’s podcast Measure Twice, Cut Once, and listen to the Burden family share their ‘East Star’ whole home renovation story, including a small kitchen redesigned within their heritage home. Episode #33 includes design boards and more pictures too!
- Maximize natural light: Natural light can make a small space feel brighter and more open. Consider incorporating windows or skylights into the kitchen design and choose window treatments that allow plenty of light to filter through.
- Work with professionals: When designing your dream kitchen in a small space, it’s important to work with professional builders and renovators who understand the unique challenges of small space design. Professional builders and renovators will also ensure that the electrical, plumbing, and wall structures are up to code and a professional designer will make the most of the available kitchen area.
Kitchen designs for a small space require creativity, inspiration, and a focus on functionality. By incorporating space-saving design elements, light colors, and design trends that reflect your home’s overall look, working with professionals you can create a stylish and functional kitchen that works for you. Don’t forget to keep the space clutter-free and prioritize function over form, and you’ll have a small kitchen that feels spacious and inviting. To source builders, designers, and renovators to help you realize your dream kitchen, visit www.havan.ca/Directory.