There are many considerations when shopping for a new home. HAVAN member Alabaster Homes suggest zeroing in on the structure of the building, before getting carried away with the appliance package or design possibilities. Six recommended indicators to look for when walking through a show home are:
- Floors: ensure floors are consistently flat and level. Tip: Check baseboards are flush to floor.
- Walls: ensure walls are straight and that 90-degree angles are actually 90 degrees. Tip: Put your head close to wall and look down wall, this will help you spot any inconsistencies.
- Plumbing: Pipes should be straight, level and organized. Tip: Peek under cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms and in mechanical room too.
- Appliances and cabinets: Ensure gaps between cabinetry and appliances are thin and consistent throughout length of gap.
- Electrical: Ensure all light switches and plugs are functioning. Tip: Check that electrical plates are installed level as this will show pride of work and potentially indicate attention to detail throughout the electrical install.
- Paint: Painting should be clean on edges and coverage even. Tip: check around lighting and electrical plates to assess cleanliness and keep an eye open for any nicks and gauges